Monday 15 June 2009

Books Books Books

-just about anything by Don DeLillo, my favourite living US writer -DeLillo has understood everything about modern life; start with "White Noise" "Mao II"

-in the goes-without-saying category: Brett Easton Ellis / Chuck Palahniuk / Michel Houellebecq / Douglas Coupland / Paul Auster / Irvine Welsh

-Marguerite Duras (my favourite French writer) -but I don't know how she translates

-my personal hero Boris Vian -he was everything

-the -like- Dub, alcohol fuelled, B. Vian Flann o'Brien

-Alain Robbe-Grillet

-the admirable John Steinbeck "Cannery Row" "Tortilla Flat"

-the admirable George Orwell (did me thesis on him so I did!) "The Road To Wigan Pier"

-Faulkner (I like me Southern Gothic me)

-talking of, Paddy mcCabe

-Martin Amis "Money" "Time's Arrow" "Dead Babies"

-Fielding "Tom Jones" / Sterne "Tristram Shandy"

-Phil K. Dick

-Louis de Bernieres

-Jane Austen

-Jimmy Baldwin: "The Fire Next Time"

-Pierre Prevert / Raymond Queneau / Marcel Ayme

-"l'Honneur perdu de Pedonzigues"

-probably the most imaginative novel I came across: "The Book Of Danish Dreams"-Peter Hoegh

-John Irving (for ex. "The Cider House Rules")

-Dickens

-Kundera

-could never really get into Murakami though; read 3 of his always critically acclaimed novels but... it doesn't sound right.

-Zadie Smith "White Teeth"

-ABCD Pierre "Vernon God Little"

-Mary Roach "Stiff" -terrific stuff! need to read her latest one ("Bonk" or something)

-seminal study (even though I think he loses it in the 3rd part as he extrapolates the plots onto history in the making as if there were a predetermined / structured movement to history) "The Seven Basic Plots"-Christopher Brooke

-Joyce "Ulysses"

-Carson McCullers

-Pinter, my favourite playwright

-Joseph Heller "Catch 22" "Something Happened"

-frankly... could never get into Updike, I just can't; idem with Roth -I just don't care for his world.

-Russell Banks ("The Rule Of Bones")

-comics: Daniel Clowes ("Ghost World") / Bill Skenkiewicz / Dave McKean / Neil Gaiman ("Signal To Noise" "Cages" etc.)

-comics: the lovely Argentinian "Mafalda"

-comics: Reiser / the abominable Vuillemin

-the extraordinary Pierre Bayard "Who Killed Roger Ackroyd"

-Rimbaud

-"The Moon In The Gutter" -great baroque oddity of a filum too!

-bought but as yet unread: "The Testament Lost In Zaragossa" by this Polish guy

-idem with Bruno Schulz; always meant to get into him